Highlighted Conference Speakers
The Future of Education
Sheryl Connelly is manager of global trends and futuring for Ford Motor Company, tracking shifts and trends in topics as far reaching as the environment, politics and millennials and analyzing those shifts to predict consumer preferences. Her insights inform the company’s automotive design, product development and corporate strategy. Sheryl has been featured in Forbes, the Wall Street Journal, Financial Times and on the BBC.
| 21st Century Commission Panel Discussion
In 2012, the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC) released the 21st-Century Report, which included seven broad recommendations for reinventing community colleges. Over the next year, faculty members, CEOs, and thought leaders worked collaboratively in teams to develop implementation strategies to assist institutions in implementing each of the recommendations. Kay McClenney, Director Emeritus of the Center for Community College Student Engagement at the University of Texas-Austin and Co-Chair of the AACC 21st Century Commission, will facilitate the panel with the Michigan presidents invited to participate in the Commission's report and implementation.
|The Experience Economy
Joseph Pine, author, speaker, and management advisor to Fortune 500 companies and entrepreneurial start-ups alike. Co-founder of Strategic Horizons LLP. dedicated to helping businesses conceive and design new ways of adding value to their economic offerings. Mr. Pine and his partner James H. Gilmore wrote the best-selling book The Experience Economy: Work Is Theatre & Every Business a Stage (Harvard Business School Press, 1999), and has since written a number of other books demonstrating how goods and services are no longer enough; what customers want today are experiences – memorable events that engage each customer in an inherently personal way.
|Michigan's Economy: Past, Present, and Future
Charles L. Ballard is a Professor in the Department of Economics at Michigan State University. He is a widely-published author, a graduate of Stanford University and Princeton University, and has served as a consultant with the U.S. Departments of Agriculture, Health & Human Services, and Treasury, and with research institutes in Australia, Denmark, and Finland. His books include Michigan at the Millennium and Michigan's Economic Future. Ballard also directs MSU's quarterly State of the State Survey, which measures Michigan's consumer confidence and approval ratings of political leaders.
|Cultivating Creativity and Leading Innovation
Blair Miller is a partner at FourSight, a company dedicated to the science of good thinking. FourSight develops research-based training tools proven to help individuals, teams and organizations build problem-solving capability, enrich creative climate and foster ideas and collaborative solutions. As president of his own Chicago-based consulting firm, Blair Miller & Associates, he has developed a unique method of helping organizations like Deloitte & Touche, DuPont, Intel, Invesco, Mars, Motts, Kodak, Kraft, Pfizer and Xerox deliver on their innovation goals.
Blair Miller - Leadership in Times of Rapid Change: Fostering Creative Thinking and Innovation. Innovation Presentation
Kay McClenney - 21st Century Commission Panel Discussion. 21st Century Panel
Joseph Pine - The Experience Economy
Mike Hansen - State of the Association
Dan Phelan - Ensuring Relevancy , MCCA Talks
Charles Ballard - Michigan's Economy
Marilyn Schlack & Jeff Patton - Healthy Living Campus
Tim Meyer - Labor Market Data , MCCA Talks
Jim Jacobs - Macomb Co. Defense and Auto Industries
President Institute Presentations
David Baime - Federal Legislative Update
Karen Solinski - Dual Credit Guide, Direct Assessment
Collaborative Program - Consortium Programming
We value your feedback!
Click on the button below to participate in a brief survey.
A Practical Understanding of ACA in 2014 and Beyond - October 31, 2013 Webinar
Michigan Skilled Trades Training Fund - October 2, 2013 Webinar
2013 Summer Conference July 25 and 26, Traverse City Michigan
MCCA annual conference was a tremendous success attracting over 300 Michigan community college presidents and trustees. The theme of this year's conference was Innovating in the New Normal. Conference attendees were able to gain perspective from a variety of presenters. We would like to thank those who attended, those who presented and we would like to also thank our wonderful sponsors.
We would be delighted to gain valuable feedback from those who attended. Please take a few minutes to participate in a brief survey by clicking here: 2013 Summer Conference Survey
Jeffrey Selingo Presentation
Saul Kaplan Presentation
Terry O'Banion Presentation
Pam Cox Otto Interact Presentation
Freedom to Work Act Legislation and College Impact Webinar - February 22, 2013
- Presenters: Luke Pickelman, Michigan Community College Association and Brandon Zuk, - Fraser, Trebilcock, Davis and Dunlop, Lansing, MI
- Webinar Recording
- Powerpoint Slides
2013 MCCA Lansing Legislative Summit - January 31
The New Personal Property Tax Legislation & Implications for Community Colleges Webinar - January 28, 2013
MPSERS Reform (SB 1040 - PA 300 of 2012) Webinar - September 7, 2012
2012 MCCA Summer Conference Presentations
FY 2012-2013 Community College Budget Bill Webinar - June 20, 2012
Dual Enrollment Expansion Law Webinar - May 18, 2012
For the webinar documents by Patty Cantu, Director of Vocational and Technical Education, State Department of Education, please see below:
Personal Property Tax Reform Conference Call - April 30, 2012
For the conference call/presentation documents by David Zin, Chief Economist for the Senate Fiscal Agency, please see below:
MPSERS Reform Conference Call - March 30, 2012
To listen to the conference call/presentation by Kathryn Summers, Associate Director of the Senate Fiscal Agency, on March 30, 2012 regarding the MPSERS reform bill - Senate Bill 1040 introduced by Senator Kahn - please click here.
80/20 Health Insurance Law Webinar - October 3, 2011
- Presenter - Elizabeth Hertel, Senior Policy Advisor - House Republican Policy Office
- To view the recording of the webinar - Click here
- The webinar will download to your computer and open in Windows Media Player.
- SB7 Frequently Asked Questions document
2011 Student Success Summit Presentations:
2011 Student Success Summit agenda and detailed descriptions of the discussion sessions
Discussion Sessions - Theme: Community Engagement/Partnership
Discussion Sessions - Theme: Innovative Institutional Designs
Discussion Sessions - Theme: Promoting Improvement through the Use of Data
Closing Lunch & Keynote Address
Summer Workshop 2011 Presentations:
- MCCA Summer Workshop 2011 Program
- Dr. Cliff Adelman, Senior Associate, Institute for Higher Education Policy - World of "Short-Cycle" Degrees: Where We Stand, Where We Have to Go
- Mr. William Flynn, Managing Director Emeritus, National Council for Continuing Education & Training - The Vanishing Classroom
- Mr. John Austin, President, Michigan State Board of Education; Nonresident Senior Fellow, The Brookings Institution, Resident Scholar, The University of Michigan - Institute for Research on Labor, Employment and the Economy - High School Acceleration into Postsecondary Education: The Vision for the Future and Implications for Community Colleges
- Dr. Donald Grimes, Senior Research Specialist, The University of Michigan's Institute for Research on Labor, Employment, and the Economy; Assistant Director, Center for Labor Market Research - Michigan Economic Forecast: Clues for Future Action
- Mr. Scott Jenkins, Director of External Relations, Western Governors University - Panel Discussion: Is Higher Education the Next Bubble?
- Mr. Andrew Kelly, Research Fellow, Education Policy Studies, American Enterprise Institute for Public Policy Research - Panel Discussion: Is Higher Education the Next Bubble?
- Dr. Julie Morgan, Policy Analyst, Postsecondary Education Program, Center for American Progress -Panel Discussion: Is Higher Education the Next Bubble?
Summer Workshop 2010 Presentations:
- Dr. Sanford C. Shugart, President, Valencia Community College, Orlando, Florida - Navigating Permanent Whitewater: the New Normal
- Mr. Lou Glazer, CEO, Michigan Future, Inc. - Michigan's Transition to a Knowledge-Based Economy
- Dr. George Boggs, President & CEO, American Association of Community Colleges - Accountability and Completion - New Challenges and Opportunities
- Mr. Fred Lokken, Instructional Technology Council Board Chair, Associate Dean, TMCC WebCollege & Academic Support Center, Truckee Meadows Community College, Reno, Nevada - Trends in Distance Learning and How Michigan Community Colleges Fit Into the Picture
- Ms. Leslie Myles-Sanders, J.D., General Counsel, Delta College - Watching the Board's Back
Dr. Debra Rowe, President US Partnership for Education for Sustainable Development & Professor Sustainable Energies and Behavioral Sciences, Oakland Community College - Education and Action for a Green and Sustainable Future: People, Planet, Prosperity
© 2015 Michigan Community College Association
222 North Chestnut Street, Lansing, Michigan 48933-1000